Saturday 15 October 2016

Swanage to Norden

Since I courageously mounted a tandem with my son in August I have been trying to find an excuse to revisit Norden station, take the train to Swanage and walk back to the park and ride. Some fine autumnal weather last weekend finally enticed us to make the trip. It was a very enjoyable 9 and a half mile walk along the beautiful Purbeck hills with stunning views to Studland and Poole and south to Swanage.

We arrived at Norden Station with just enough time to purchase our one way tickets before embarking on this delightful little steam train. I love the sound the train makes as it crosses the gap in the tracks, something Paul explained no longer happens because the tracks are continuously welded together. I'd only ever travelled on the steam train on the Swanage Railway for one stop, between Norden and Corfe Castle, and that was with James in August, so it was lovely to follow the line to its termination at Swanage.

Now, I have to be honest (well, I don't, but I will) - I'd got myself really excited about the most ridiculous thing; something I wouldn't normally get excited about, so I can't really explain it. I'd seen photos of this globe sculpture somewhere at Swanage and I was looking round expectantly for it as soon as we disembarked at the station.

Swanage Railway - steam train at Swanage - SZ0278

Swanage Railway Station - steam train at Swanage - SZ0278
Paul said he had a feeling it was the north side of Swanage, but then admitted he didn't know what I was on about, so I disregarded this 'feeling'. It turns out he must be correct as we didn't encounter the globe. My consolation was discovered upon returning home and submitting my geographs - and this is arguably an equally ridiculous thing to get excited about - I discovered we had entered 'SZ' territory. In fact we were wandering obliviously between 'SY' and 'SZ' on the map throughout our walk. 'Z' is such an underused letter in our alphabet so I like to acknowledge its existence with reverence whenever I encounter it.

We walked seawards towards the pier and the groynes, This is the unfortunate word given to the barriers built to trap sand and prevent it from being carried by wave and wind action too far along the coast. I should probably already have known that, but  I didn't until I told Paul they had those funny things on the Solway Coast and I remembered them as a child walking along the beach at Carsethorn and wondering what their purpose was. I remember them being so high further up the beach that I had to walk towards the sea in order to be able to cross over them. Paul enlightened me as to their meaning - and then I saw that this area is even called 'Groynes' on the map.

Swanage pier - SZ0378
Swanage groynes - SZ0379
Swanage groyes - SZ0379
The coast path turns inland briefly and we trudged through Swanage streets, gradually climbing until we reached a corner shop where we purchased some delicious out-of-date Danish pastries to quieten our rumbling tummies. Then it was onwards and upwards to Ballard Point - along with it seemed half the population of Swanage who had all decided to make the most of a beautiful day, like us.

Towards Ballard Point - SZ0380
We walked cautiously along the footpath along the steep-sided Ballard Cliff, reassured by the number of people we were passing, although, on reflection, maybe this shouldn't have been reassuring given the amount of erosion this was causing. As we cautiously walked, we also observed every butterfly that flitted past in the hope that it would turn into a Camberwell Beauty, a species which had been seen on migration in various places along the south coast. Unfortunately none of the Red Admirals managed this transformation during our walk.

Ballard Cliff  - SZ0380
Once we reached the ridge, however, our sense of fear was replaced by an amazing 'Wow' factor as we surveyed the whole world before us, at least that's how it felt. To our north were unobstructed views of Studland, Brownsea Island, Poole Harbour and beyond to Poole and Bournemouth and south we were looking back towards Swanage. Almost directly east of us we were looking at the Isle of Wight which had performed a miraculous transformation from at least two islands into just one as we gained height and appreciated that the two lumps out to sea were in fact just one island. We worked out that the reason we couldn't see the Needles through my binoculars was not due to their inferior power rating, but because we were looking head on to these famous pinnacles. A photo later confirmed this.  (I also tried looking for that globe sculpture through my binoculars but they're just not powerful enough!)

Studland and Sandbanks from Ballard Cliff - SZ0481

Swanage from Ballard Cliff - SZ0481
The Needles, Isle of Wight, from Ballard Down
To add to our delight, I was going to bag another Dorset trigpoint. We joined throngs of other walkers and cyclists here to admire the view.

Ballard Cliff trigpoint - SZ0481

If I had known that the walk wasn't going to be as long as I'd thought, I would have suggested walking on to the end to view Old Harry's Rocks; it would only have been an extra mile or so and it was a beautiful day so we should probably have done it, but it will be something to come back for on an equally nice day in the future. (There's a gridsquare which consists mainly of sea with just one and a half diamonds of the South-west coast path in it!)

We had our long-awaited lunch here, chasing butterflies and admiring the view and drinking in pure sea air. Then we departed from the South-west coast path and joined the Purbeck Way, walking westwards back to Corfe Castle. We passed a few boundary stones en route, as well as the more modern marker stones which the |National Trust have erected to point out the (rather obvious) direction. Some of these boundary stones had Ordnance Survey benchmarks on them as they would have been the only place available at the time to mark the relative height above sea level.

Boundary stone, Ballard Down - SZ0381


Stone seat - SZ0381

This attractive, and useful, stone bench has a date marked on it - 1852 - SZ0381

The views continued to be wonderful as we  walked westwards towards Godlingstone Hill.
Godlingstone Hill - SZ0281


I began to anticipate seeing the obelisk which we had viewed from Studland last year. You don't actually see the obelisk until you are nearly upon it because it is hidden in a bit of a dip. The obelisk commemorates the provision of a new supply of drinking water for Swanage in 1883. It was taken down in 1941 as it was a landmark that might have aided enemy aircraft during World War II, but was re-erected in 1952.

Swanage Water Works obelisk and tumulus - SZ0281

Swanage Water Works obelisk - SZ0281
In order to pass the obelisk, we had chosen the upper footpath, which, according to the Explorer map is not strictly speaking the Purbeck Way, so we now turned southwards and followed some very steep steps down past a reservoir  to rejoin the Purbeck Way. We walked through a patch of dappled woodland before meeting and crossing the Ulwell road.

Woodland at bottom of Studland Hill - SZ0181
I was hoping we were going to be able to see the Giant's Grave amd Giant's Trencher (whatever that is) that are marked on the map here, but upon subsequent research, discovered that no-one else seemed to have been able to find them either so I'm glad we didn't struggle over gratuitous hills in a futile search. Instead we watched Kestrels, of which there were plenty.

Kestrel near Round Hill

Kestrel near Round Hill

I had to be satisfied with a boring bifurcation photograph for SZ0180, but then the views continued to be stunning, especially when our little steam train steamed past several times.

Bifurcation of paths - SZ0180
Swanage Railway

Swanage from Godlingstone Hill 

There is just one diamond of the Purbeck Way in square SZ0080 so I took a photograph of Knitson Farm which lies more securely within the gridsquare.

Knitson Farm - SZ0080
Then there was a big surprise - a deceased trigpoint. I have normally scoured the maps long before a walk, ensuring I have taken every landmark into account that I want to visit - and this of course includes trigpoints. But this one, named Coringdon on Trigpointing UK, is not marked on the Explorer map. It is marked on the Landranger map for some reason, but not in the spot where it now rests, toppled with great views of Swanage.


Coringdon trigpoint - SZ0081

The final resting place of Coringdon trigpoint - SZ0081
We were now back into 'SY' territory (although I didn't realise it at the time, happy as I was just photographing each gridsquare). I was excited about being on Nine Barrow Down, however, and the reason for its name soon became clear as we passed lots of tumuli (I didn't count!)

Tumuli on Nine Barrow Down - SY9981
View from Ailwood Down - SY9981

View from Ailwood Down - SY9981
Our next Hill was Brescombe Hill, from where we could see Corfe Castle and we knew our destination was not too far away. We talked of walking the rest of the Purbeck Hills some day and wondered where it ended up. It turns out it's a little unclear on the maps, but we decided we could walk from Corfe Castle to somewhere near Worbarrow Tout, the distinctive hill which was now in our view beyond Corfe Castle on the coast.

Brenscombe Hill - SY9881

Corfe Castle from Brenscombe Hill - SY9881

Signpost on Brenscombe Hill - SY9881
I think I managed to miss a photograph from the corner of SY9882 (another one diamond square!) so my next square was SY9782, where the most obvious thing to photograph was theu gly telephone mast on Rollington Hill. This was my last new gridsquare of the day.

Telephone mast on Rollington Hill - SY9782

We walked down the hill towards the village, passing a field with two llamas and a shepherd's hut en route.

Shepherd's Hut and llamas, Corfe Castle - SY9682
Soon we were in the hustle and bustle of this popular attractive village, from where we walked past the Visitor Centre and back to Norden Station, only five hours after starting our walk - not bad at all!

Number of new gridsquares - 14
Number of llamas - 2
Number of dead trigpoints - 1
Number of 'living' trigpoints - 1
Number of times said 'Wow!' - numerous
Number of globe sculptures - 0
Number of miles walked - 9.49

No comments:

Post a Comment