Saturday 13 January 2018

Friary in the Fog - Hermitage and Hilfield - 12th January

I'd spent the whole day indoors yesterday fighting off a cold virus so was going to get out today come hell or high water or, as it happened, fog. So, what's a bit of fog when you're driving down the A37? Who's going to let that bother them? At least it's not raining, and not in the least little bit creepy. This was my internal conversation as I pulled into the Hendover Coppice Car Park, being the only car there amongst a forest of creaking, skeletal, trees which didn't look the least bit menacing.

"Well, I've driven this far," I argued with myself as I pulled on my boots, "so I'm going to go, even if all my photographs are of fog."

My first one certainly was, but it didn't matter because I'd already photographed ST6304 on a much nicer day.

Ramshorn Hill - ST6304

Hendover Coppice - ST6304 (01/07/2016)
I had to confess that I was getting weary of trudging through mud. Scotland might be bleak in the winter, but I don't remember there being so much mud. Probably because it wasn't so arable on Islay; there's a lot more coastal land and you're seldom walking through farmland whereas it is commonplace down here.

I ploughed my way through the soggy field, emerging at Telegraph Hill where I crossed the road and snapped a photo of the junction, a contender for my worst photo ever.

Telegraph Hill - ST6404
I walked down Telegraph Hill and Little Coppice in a fog, reliving my previous visit here, knowing I was going to happen upon a trigpoint in a field full of cows which would be inaccessible.

Penn Wood - a desolate view - ST6405

On a nicer day - view north from the same spot - ST6405
There were no cows and I could see the trigpoint, but didn't pluck up enough courage to wander into the field without permission. I'd save it for another day - although I can't think I'll be rushing back to do this walk!

I turned onto a footpath to Hartley Manor Farm and recalled being chased by cows here on my last visit. My track from that walk in June 2015 shows several deviations from the footpath in attempts to avoid frisky cows!

Hartley Manor Farm - ST6406
Part of my track from my walk in June 2015 when I had to make several detours to avoid cows!
I walked down the lane this time, but wish now I'd gone through Prince's Wood to try to find the Lady Well. I did attempt it from the church, but couldn't find it and wonder whether a different angle might have made it easier to find. If I can't find it in the winter, there's no hope later in the year with the growth of foliage.

It was worth my attempt to find the well if only because it meant entering another gridsquare (how easily pleased am I?)

Entrance to Prince's Wood - ST6506

The first time I approached St Mary's Church I thought I was wandering through someone's garden. I've got slightly more used to that two years on, but it still feels slightly like I'm trespassing and I was glad to get into the church grounds and revisit this delightful little church which was used to harbour paintings from Bournemouth Art Gallery during the SecondWorld War.

St Mary's Church, Hermitage (June 2015) - ST6406
Interior of St Mary's Church, Hermitage. The picture on the left is the one donated by Bournemouth Art Gallery as a thank you to the church for guarding some valuable paintings during the Second World War.
Another interesting fact about this church is the unusual memorial to Elizabeth Collyar which has an engraving of the family emblem of three bats! Now Paul would like that!

The family emblem of Elizabeth Collyar on her memorial in St Mary's Church, Hermitage - ST6406
I gulped a quick cup of tea here before venturing into another gridsquare just for the sake of it.

Bartlett's Corner, Hermitage - ST6407
I then walked up the road past one of those attractive telephone box libraries (that's three I've seen in Dorset now).

Telephone box library, Hermitage - ST6406

 Shortly after this I turned onto a footpath heading south-west towards Pond Farm. I'm sorry there's nothing exciting to say about these footpaths; they were just muddy on a gargantuan scale and not worth repeating. I was glad to catch a misty glimpse of Pond Farm just to see something other than mud!

Pond Farm in the mist - ST6306

I wasn't even bumping into anybody today. My spirits were as soggy as the ground I was walking on and I began my soliloquy about why I habitually do this - slog my way through mud in solitude with the sole aim of seeking out single gridsquares. Honestly woman, you're mad! You'ven ot even got much to say about it when you're done!

My soliloquy over (for the time being) I was glad to reach solid ground and stamp my way to Hilfield Church. "This is going to be good," I told myself as I allowed myself one more check of the map and then vowed to put it away and not look at it again until I'd reached the church. "You don't need to," I reassured my arguing self. "You're only doing it out of boredom." Valid point. I was; there were no birds to look at, the muse wasn't appearing for poetry, my soliloquy was getting repetitive and there was no-one else to talk to. What's so bad about walking with a map in your hand and looking at it all the time?

I managed to keep my vow as I hastened into the hallowed ground and opened the door. "Hmm, no porch," was my first thought. Then, "interesting, no lights either," I pressed and de-pressed the lights switches - to no effect.

St Nicholas Church, Hilfield - ST6305


Stained glass window in St Nicholas Church, Hilfield - ST6305
I had decided to abandon my original, extended route to Batcombe on the following grounds:

1) I was weary
2) I'd been before
3) It was taking longer than I thought to do this walk
4) I'd already decided this was not a suitable walk for my new group so no point in continuing the reccie
And most importantly
5) I wanted to see the friary.

This turned out to be my best decision of the day. I hopped lightly onto the verge into the sharp-edged hedge to avoid being run over by a tractor and then continued towards the Friary. Then, it happened, my first surprise of the day, which actually coincided with the second surprise of the day. The sun was peeping out. "Boy, am I glad to see you!" I welcomed its feeble glow. Then I happened upon a sign.

Hermits Wood, Hilfield - ST6304
Now, this was unexpected because there was no footpath marked on the map and here I was reading about hermits and bats and permissive paths and suddenly the world was a friendly place again despite the fog and flailed hedges. Ooh, this was exciting. the source of the River Wriggle is found in these woods - that's got to be exciting by anyone's standards! And St Francis (THE St Francis) lived near the River Totto in Italy (which translated means 'wriggly river'). I just love these connections!

Apparently one can wander freely round the grounds of the Franciscan Friary here. Maybe I'd find a wriggly river if I wandered into Hermit's Wood. I gave it a try but my luck was out with all things watery today (other than the mud). I was determined to return for more forays into this delightful haven though. I wandered past some early lambs whose mothers were entreating their return to safety and then found myself at the entrance to the Friary.

Franciscan Friary, Hilfield - ST6304

Waiting for the bell to ring - Franciscan Friary, Hilfield - ST6304
As I took my few photos a rather scruffy, unshaven man approached me and I explained my presence. He was very friendly and asked, pointing to my binoculars, if I'd seen anything. We went on to talk about birds. I had to admit I hadn't seen much that day and he said he was very interested in knowing whether any bird surveys were carried out in their gridsquare. He invited me to look round the friary, but I had to decline on the grounds that I knew Paul would be home by now and no doubt waiting for lunch. Yes, I know he's capable of making his own and I could have stayed, but I guess I was weary and just wanted to get home really. But I am definitely going to return for some solitude and soliloquy writing. For more information about the friary, visit http://hilfieldfriary.org.uk/

Number of new gridsquares: 4
Number of miles walked: 6.5
Number of friars I talked to: 1
Total number of people I talked to: 1
Number of cows seen: 0
Number of churches visited: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment