Saturday 6 January 2018

South Perrot Sinking - 5th January

My last walk in this area was in April 2016, but I don't appear to have written a blog about my epic 13 mile hike on that day, which is a great shame. Looking back at the pictures, it seemed a lovely walk, but somehow this area has not yet endeared itself to me. I thought I would devise a short walk for this afternoon to try and rectify that. . .

After all, the forecast was fine - admittedly brighter weather was forecast for the morning, but I decided it would be nice to wait for Paul's return and then enjoy a short jaunt before heading off to Chard for tea with mother.

My spirits gradually sank as the morning wore on and the cloud grew thicker, but, undeterred I presented Paul with a rucksack and flask as soon as he'd walked through the door home from work. "We're heading out," I pressed, "here's your walking boots, socks, thermos, Christmas cake and packet of crisps." "I hope it's not tooooo long a walk," he started to say as I ushered him out to the car, "my ankle is still very sore." "It's only five miles," I promised, "perhaps a little over. Plenty of time to do it before we go to your mother's." Please understand I'm doing this for literary effect - I wasn't really that bossy - honest!

We parked at South Perrott, opposite the Coach and Horses, later learning that this used to be the Village Pound and started our walk through the churchyard, heading south down Picket Lane. The farmhouse has two 'ts', the lane only one - not sure why. This was an uphill climb, but easy underfoot.

St Mary's Church, South Perrott (taken in May 2015) - ST4706
I wish I'd remembered that there is a permissive path leading south from Pickett Farm which ends up where we wanted to be. This would have saved a little bit of road walking. As it was, it states that it is a path to Chedington, which is not where we wanted to be so we avoided it.

Permissive path to Chedington - Pickett Farm - ST4705
Our avoiding the permissive path did mean we got a sneaky look at the Picket trigpoint. Being on farmland, we didn't want to bash our way over to it. I shall ask at the farm house before visiting this one. We crossed Chedington Lane and joined the Monarch's Way briefly past Axe Ford. "We're on the River Axe," I announced confidently, "and I'm in a new gridsquare."

Footbridge over Axe Ford on the Monarch's Way - ST4704
I'd say the trouble began here, at the River Axe where we turned right to Baker's Mill and entered a world where there was nothing beneath your feet except mud - of varying types, consistency and depth. We plodded on through Park Coppice, disturbing some white rumped Roe Deer does who bounded off, unhindered by mud, but whose fluffy white rears gave their location away for quite some distance.

I took a photo of Buckham Mills for good measure, not really needing another one for the square.


Buckham Mills - ST4704
We continued through very wet fields, past an unmarked pond, across a bridge to Baker's Mill where things really started to deteriorate.

Pond near Baker's Mill - ST4604

Footbridge near Baker's Mill - ST4604
It took us a while to find the correct footpath at Baker's Mill and, when we did, it was full of cow slurry, which we reluctantly waded through, past a lot of untidy looking farm buildings and into a river. We were sloshing around, slipping on the mud ice rink and grasping brambles, barbed wire and blackthorn simply to stay upright. Stiles were broken, gates were rusty and the bridleway was a river. Other than that, it was OK!

Footpath/river to Mosterton - ST4504

We emerged into the delights of Mosterton village,by which time I was looking at the map and wondering how we were going to finish the intended walk in time. Paul was wondering the same thing. We stopped for a cup of tea at St Mary's Church, Mosterton.

A reminder (if we needed one) of the major local industry - St Mary's church, Mosterton - ST4505

Invitation at St Mary's Church, Mosterton - ST4505
Leaving the church and village behind us, we began our ascent up Mosterton Down lane to the intended northern limit of our walk and boundary of Dorset. We were on a very narrow lane with no verge and could hear a tractor coming up behind us. "Why are we heading west still?" Paul dared to ask as we rapidly considered our options. "We'd better turn around," I conceded as we walked briskly back down the hill to where the tractor's driver was kindly waiting for us to get off the road.

So our plans changed in the depressing rain and dreary outlook of more mud. Still I would get two more gridsquares before we finally found our way back to the car. Both of them muddy and neither of them worth describing!


Mud and chickens near Chapel Court Farm - ST4506

Footpath to Lecher Lane - ST4606

Number of new gridsquares: 4
Number of miles walked: 4.4
Number of deer seen: 3
Number of out of reach trigpoints: 1
Quantity of mud left on boots: Unquantifiable!

No comments:

Post a Comment